By Osama Iyawe for tftmag
Welcome to the hottest issue on goal setting, new year resolutions and aspirations. 2013 is already here.
There’s a popular cliché making the rounds on BBM, Facebook, twitter and the likes…it goes
‘News has it that Usain Bolt has already arrived at 2013’.
Laughable as this cliché is, it carries some vital information/lessons. The speed with which one moves in a particular year is determined prior to the year. We do not have to wait for 2013 to arrive to prepare for it. We prepare for it NOW!
2013 without concrete plans & decisions, will just be another year with different digits.
So here’s the BIG question- How do we get maximum results in 2013 ?????
Below are some interesting tips.
1. REVIEW (2012): How did the past year go for you ?? What did you plan to do, acquire, stop and improve on ?? Did you meet these targets ?? These and more is what a comprehensive review requires. This must be done in order to re-position for 2013. As soon as you are done taking note of the achievements, plan to improve on them in 2013, for the shortcomings, plan to diligently work on them.
2. SET GOALS: What are goals from an achievement perspective ? They are simply targets/benchmarks with deadlines. Show me a man that has none, and I’ll show you a man who is neither heading anywhere nor planning to arrive. We must set career goals, spiritual goals, financial, idea, relationship and investment goals. The setting of these goals will serve as guide as we manoeuvre through the new year. This is what determines if we’re running out of time or not. For instance, I told myself I have to get a minimum amount in Savings at the end of 2012 which was different from that of 2011. So throughout the year, this goal guided my financial acts. It kept me in check, and at the same time pushed me all out.
More importantly, these goals must be written down. Writing our goals down gives us a 50% chance of achieving them.
3. COUNT THE COST: Many a folk as one year winds down, start making ‘New Year resolutions’ and many go ahead to in scribe them on any surface available. In the end,
barely 5% of these resolutions are achieved..why? It’s because the cost of such achievements were not analysed. Counting the cost means: How much will it take to register that business ? How much manpower do I need ? When is the best time to start processing that application for my higher degree ? How much is the school fees e.t.c…
4. PRAY: Even though I do not write this from a religious disposition, I can’t leave out my spiritual paradigm in such a matter. Prayer brings direction, peace and clarity. After all our planning and analysis, God must be brought into the preparation. This conceals and preserves our proposed actions for success.
5. PERFORM: This is the hallmark. If this ain’t carried out, the four ingredients above loose their potency. After all said and done, ACTION is what counts. Even if we have received the laying on of hands from great patriarchs of the gospel we will end up achieving nothing without ACTION. The greatest book even puts it succinctly by quoting thus ‘faith without works is dead’. We must be committed to acting out our plans and aspirations. We must refuse to leave them on a ‘wishful pedestal’ if they are to happen. Havard University was a plan at some point, so also was Virgin Atlantic, Covenant University, Facebook, Twitter, Benson Idahosa University, Coca-Cola, Range Rover, Airbus, Boeing 727 and many more…
What are your plans for 2013 ? Will they still be plans by 2014 ?? It’s for you to decide and not to wish. If it must be by YOU then it’s up to YOU.
Remember the best of ideas will never be celebrated until executed.
Create your 2013 NOW !!!